Iwate Prefecture


When one thinks of an overnight bus, one often thinks of college students who are saving money on a vacation. Last Friday, I rode an overnight bus. But this time I didn’t ride an overnight bus for a vacation. This time around, I rode an overnight bus so that I could partake in another volunteer trip up to Northeastern Japan. Unlike the other volunteer trips that I’ve participated in, this trip was to Iwate prefecture, not Fukushima prefecture. It was a volunteer trip run by the university (Takushoku University) that I attend. However, this volunteer trip was a lot easer than the ones I usually participate in, too easy in fact. We spent more time taking breaks than we did actually doing any work that might benefit those who live in Iwate prefecture. Seeing as it was run by my school, I imagine that they were concerned with safety, so I’m sure because of that the work that we did was limited. That’s a shame, but seeing as the number of volunteer groups going to/in Northeastern Japan are rapidly decreasing, I was happy just to be able to help out and would like to (if possible) participate on other volunteer trips that my school may hold in the future. 




This is a building that apparently survived the tsunami.


This pachinko parlor was said to have been built after the tsunami.



I believe that this is a school.


This was once a school, but is now unusable. Talks are ongoing about whether or not they should leave this school as it is or tear it down.


I'd like you to have a good look at this clock. It has stopped on the exact second that the tsunami hit it.



I forget who they told us it was, but (as far as I remember) apparently a famous writer from the area used this island in one of his pieces.


The market in where we ate breakfast.



Ramen filled with seafood for breakfast. Yum!


We volunteered in Kamaishi city. This map shows the sights/anything in the city that's worth seeing.



If I remember correctly, these are set up in remembrance of those from the Elementary school who lost their lives in the tsunami and earthquake.


Apologizes for forgetting almost everything that I was taught on this trip, but if I remember correctly this man was responsible for helping to bring iron into and used it to help vitalize Japan.


We all got free bottles of water that apparently came from the same city, Kamaishi.


A sign stating that Takushoku University was the one who donated the flowers.


That's right, our job was to plant flowers outside of Kamaishi station and one other location in where many who lost their homes are living. Apparently these flowers will all die out rather quickly so Takushoku University does the same planting of flowers every year. Because of that, the people from the local city office weren't concerned about the spots in where we planted these flowers, thanks for the demotivation.


Lunch, provided for by my university.


This red line indicates how far the tsunami came.



I couldn't say that this tiger-like creature is a symbol of Iwate prefecture, but seems to be used in a festival that takes place there every year.



Other flowers that we planted near apartments where people who lost their homes are currently living.


This sign here too indicates how far up the tsunami rose.


Seeing as were finished our volunteer efforts earlier than scheduled, we went to a park and got to view cherry blossoms. They may have died out in the Kanto region, but they've just come into full bloom in the Northeastern region.


Beware of bears.







Many famous 漫画 (manga) artists have made it up to Iwate prefecture.


A small museum in the same city (Kamaishi) that gives an explanation about the origin of the tiger-like creature that I showed above.



Kamaishi city will also be one of the cities that will host the rugby world cup in 2019.




Always have to have a bottle of coffee flavored milk after enjoying a public bath. After we finished our volunteer efforts we went to a local public bath, boy did it feel nice.


This beer apparently contains ingredients from Iwate prefecture. Helping out the area by having a drink, fantastic!


Dinner. 


Matcha (that I just can't get enough of) flavored pudding for desert, yay!


I'd like to continue to help out in volunteer efforts in Northeastern Japan. If anyone has information about any groups, events, or anything that I can do to help, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Hokuriku Region

The city of Chofu

Mt. Takao