Soma-Nomaoi


Last weekend I yet again visited Fukushima prefecture as a volunteer. However, this time was slightly different than previous trips to Fukushima prefecture, as it wasn’t so much about volunteering, rather a trip to get to know the city of Minamisoma. There are still people who are living uncertain lives in temporary housing, so we didn’t go all the way up to Minamisoma just to have fun. On the first day of our 2 day trip, we had another get together with those in temporary housing. We listened to their stories and did what we could to give them encouragement.

The city of Minamisoma is not a major city. Having said that, every year a famous festival known as the Soma-Nomaoi takes place there. I don’t know about any of the other volunteers, but even though I’d been to the city of Minamisoma a number of times, I know very little about the history and whatnot of the city itself. This time volunteer efforts were deliberately arranged on a weekend when the Soma-Nomaoi festival itself was being held. This is a festival that apparently takes place over the course of 3 days, and our volunteer group got to see the events held on Sunday, the second day of the event. The festival centers around many of the people in Minamisoma dressing up in samurai costumes and riding horses. I thought it was rather neat, and made me wish I could go and see what life was like in the Edo period.


The Soma-Nomaoi is said to have its origins in the early 10th Century when samurai warriors of this land secretly commenced their military exercises.” (taken from the Soma-Nomaoi website). This is a festival (that I didn’t realize at the time) has quite a rich history behind it. It was the first time I saw this festival, and it was quite a lot of fun. I hope that I can go back and see the Soma-Nomai festival again some day.




At the start of the festival, a few people riding horses come into some of the residents houses of those dressed in a samurai costume and yell words (I'm sure) in order to get pumped up about the days events.




The first event (pictured below) features those riding horses going off to the horse track in where the main events are to be held. This line of samurai riding horses goes on for about 2 hours, and those take part all seem to be in order of corps (i.e. the Odaka corps/group and so on).


There were a number of kids who were also riding horses, cute!



I don't know a lot about the history of Japan, but I'm sure (pictured below) these are the most notable people out of all of those that take part in this festival. If I remember correctly, I think the announcement mentioned something about a relationship to this girl and Himiko, a princess (or was she a god?) who comes up in Japanese history who no one is sure actually existed. 


A horse shaped toilet. Perfect for a horse track.


At the horse track itself, the 2 major events of the Soma-Nomaoi festival take place. A horse race takes place, along with an event where those riding horses try to catch flags that have been shot up into the air. As you can imagine, it's utter chaos.


Fukushima prefecture is surrounded by mountains, it's a rather beautiful place.



You need to be careful when viewing this festival, seeing as some of the horses will break away a start running around the track on their own. There's nothing to do but wait until the horse (or horses) run out of steam.


The winners of the horse races and those that are able to catch any of the flags run up a zig-zag like hill. Maybe it's a way of saying "I won! Everybody look at me!" and showing off.


I quite enjoy festivals in Japan, so if there are any others that you think might be worth seeing, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Hokuriku Region

The city of Chofu

Mt. Takao