The Asagaya Tanabata Festival

In Japan, each year, there are more festivals that take place than I can count. The summer festival or 夏祭り (natsu matsuri) is what many Japanese people look forward to each year. But it’s not just during the hot summer months, festivals take place throughout the year. Seeing as it’s now the summer time, summer festivals are taking place. One of those summer festivals is known as 七夕 (tanabata). This is a story that doesn’t just reside in Japan, but upon doing some research is one that also apparently happens to reside in China and Korea as well. In Japan, there are a number of tanabata festivals that take place. One of these festivals takes place in an area of Tokyo known as Asagaya. This particular festival seems to be quite well known. Tanabata is a festival that take place on the 7th of July. But this date is in accordance with the old Japanese calendar that’s no longer used. Don’t ask me how, but using the dates on todays calendar, July happens to fall in August, which is why a number of the tanabata festivals take place in August. The tanabata festival that takes place in Asagaya too takes place in August. This is (as I wrote above) a famous festival which I’m sure most people from Tokyo have seen at least once in their life. Seeing as this was my first time viewing this festival, it was exciting to see all the different pieces on display, and was great to enjoy some good food and drink while doing so. This was yet another festival that I enjoyed to my heart’s content.

I don’t need to explain this to Japanese people, but tanabata is a festival that centers around the stars Orihime and Hikoboshi. These stars are only able to meet once a year and do so on the 7th of July. On this day they apparently enjoy a date at the river in the sky. For those wanting to learn more, feel free to watch this youtube video that has English subtitles. I love the culture of Japan, but this year I forgot to write my wish on a special piece of paper known as a 短冊 (tanzaku) and place it upon a tree, which is the main event that takes place on the 7th of July. However, in the apartment that I currently rent, there’s a 達磨 (daruma) that I received from an acquaintance a number of years ago. With a daruma, you draw in its left eye when you have a wish and draw in its right eye when that wish comes true. For a wish to come true, I don’t think that you’re supposed to say what that wish is. But just as many of my friends and acquaintances already know, my wish is to be able to get a full-time job here in Japan, so in January of next year I’ll draw in the left eye of the daruma that I have. Anyways, for those that haven’t seen the tanabata festival in Asagaya, I highly recommend checking it out next year. I happen to live close to Asagaya, so I’ll probably end up going and seeing it again next year as well. 


The main attraction of the Asagaya tanabta festival is all the float-like creations hanging from the ceiling. 



Seeing as I visited this festival on the last day, much of food and drink being sold was at lower prices than usual. This is my favorite 抹茶 (matcha) (powdered green tea) drink!





A famous celebrity known as Matsuko Deluxe.


A character from the Japanese animation Detective Conan.




The famous children's animation Anpanman.


A 餃子 (gyoza) or a Chinese-style fried dumpling.



Orihime and Hikoboshi.


A beer is a must when viewing a festival! 🍻





I snuck in one more beer before anyone noticed.


Chocolate banana! 🍌


The famous robot cat Doraemon!


Curry bread! Yes, fried bread with curry on the inside.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

The Hokuriku Region

The city of Chofu

Mt. Takao